Thursday, March 12, 2009

Being a step parent is hard !

Being a step parent is hard. If you have ever been one you know exactly what I am talking about. First you have the whole ex-wife issue ! Then you have the early resentment becuase every child wants there parents to be together- no one wants to have thier parents divorced. Then there is the whole "step parent" title that Disney has done a great job of making evil ! Snow White, Cinderella to name a few....

I have had my issues with Teresa and I have been accused of being the evil step parent- even though I am the one that goes out of my way and have gone far beyond what her mother has done for her. I have often been sad that I don't get much "reward" out of the relatiuonship or for everything I have doen for her- meaning she likes to argue and critize me. I have been told that is a teenager for you but I felt that I deserved more since I was not her mom and raised her because I wanted to and not because I had to. I felt that she should appreciate me because she knows what kind of mom she has and how much more I do for her.

Well today I was sitting at my computer and I get an email from her ........
"i know this is random but i just wanted to say thank you for all you do for me and sorry for all ways giving you crap/ drama to deal "

Not sure what got in to her ! but I am not about to complain !!! So I respond...
"you bout made me cry !"

Teresa: "i didnt mean to make you cry...crying is typically not a good thing
Me : "it was this time : ) "
Teresa: "oh okay... did you show it to all you work friends?"
My thoughts is there a motive here ??????? starting to ruin the warm fuzzy feeling......
Me: "ummm- no, am I suppose to ????? is that why you said it ?
Teresa"no normally parents show off when their kids are good.. idk why i said it"

Little does she know that instead of showing it, I am posting it on my blog !!!

I got my reward !!!!!!!!! ~ smile

3 comments:

Jeanette said...

Yup, step-parenting is tough work! Thanks for commenting on my post about it. It's nice to know that we are not alone. I agree with your comment that I do things because I choose to, not because I have to. Amen! I think that is what makes the backlashing harder to take, this job is voluntary. Anyway, I loved this post and I long to hear similar words someday. I hope to see you Saturday at InkDots.

Michelle said...

thanks for your comment on my blog!

I had a step mom growing up, but I've not been a step parent and I know that's a totally thing to deal with, I can imagine it being hard though. How nice that she was able to show you how she feels and thanking you for all you've done!

The Jowers Family Blog said...

You deserve that reward! Being a parent is hard enough, then add everything else and every once and a while a simple thank you or something like it goes a very long way! The pictures are BEAUTIFUL!! We continue to pray for your family!