Monday, December 8, 2008

Here's what happened

It all started wednesday night.Kayden woke up around 2:30 throwing up, by 3:15 I woke up daddy and he said she threw up on and off until 5am. She does that sometimes and takes medicine for it but never that long. We went ahead and brought her to day care. After lunch Kristi called to say Kayden wasnt really eating and had a fever.I called the pediatrician who said take her to the hospital. So I left work and drove north, picking up Caitlin from school, stopping by the house to get the diaper bag (and something told me to grab a couple of bottled waters from the garage) and then I got Kayden. We drove to the Childrens hospital ER. When we got there they checked us in and we went to triage. Kayden wasnt too happy about leaving mommys arms for the hard scale to get weighed and started cying. While they weighed her they decided to take her temp via her bottom. That is when Caitlin walked into the room, heard her sister screaming, and the hurse shoving something up her bottom. Caitlin got upset and left the room ! We got into our room and the nurse mentioned child life for Caitlin. Shortly after the Doctor came in- she said that she suspected RSV since 8 out of the 10 kids coming in had it ! She didnt think that the shot Kayden got may have been enough in her system and that if it was RSV she wanted to admit immediatly cause the worse was still to come. GREAT I thought ! She also ordered a chest xray. The nurse came and got Kayden and I for the xray and Caitlin waiting in the room. I dont know if you have ever seen this contraption they use but it looks like something out of midevil times ! it has 2 holes for her legs and she balances her body on this small ledge between her legs then half a clear tube comes up on each side while her arms are straight up by her ears, and the tubes straps together (thank goodness Caitlin wasnt there to see that thing )When we get back to the room there is a nice guy named Matt from child life talking with Caitlin. the nurses come in to do the RSV test and Matt takes Caitlin for a walk. the rsv test is them sucking boogies from her nose and they test the mucus. Seems like forever before the dr came back with thumbs up saying RSV test was negitive. then a nurse came in to take Kaydens temp. Caitlin put both hands over the babys bottom saying "no one is touching my babys butt !!" the nurse stepped out and called Matt who came and got Caitlin again- gotta love that Matt !! child life got Caitlin some games to play to help us pass time cause the wait was forever ! We munched on the chips
I had grabbed out of my car and the bottled water I brought. I looked at the clock and it was already 7pm (we had gotten there at 3:30)A social worker came by (real nice jewish girl named rachel who had 2 boys in the 3rd and 5th grades and is divorced- can find out about someone when you are waiting that long in the ER) Anyway, I told her I need to fed Caitlin before CPs gets called on me- I wouldnt be surpsied that was my luck at the time ! So she helped me ordera pizza to the Er- who'da thunk it - I told Caitlin that all our visits to the ER growing up, I had never had a picnic in the ER before. The nurse then did a urine test on Kayden, and they were consulting the radiologist about the chest xray. Seemed like forever and it was getting later and later and I was getting really tired since it was past mine and Kaydens bed time. Eventually they told me everything came back negitive and they called the heart doctor on call who said it was okay for us to go home but wanted us in the office at 9am the next morning. We finally got released at 11:30- eight hours later- and dont think they didnt have us go to insurance first to collect their copay ! I was exhausted ! The next morning I let Caitlin sleep in. robert took Kayden to the doctor and I got Caitlin to school by 9:30 so she counted for attendance and I went to work. Robert called to say the heart doctor cancelled the surgery- I started to cry. We were so close to this being over with. they are thinking it is a virus and want us to follow up with the pediatrician on Monday and see the heart docotor again on the 19th. that is 2 weeks away ! After the appt we took her daycare.I picked her up and Krisit said her fever was 103.I waited for Robert and justlost it.I know anyone would tell us to go the ER with 103 fever but I couldnt. After being there for 8 hours and not sleeping in a couple of days I was exhausted and drained and couldnt do it. so rob called Dr Rowe (cardiologist) and he gave us some things to do and said if it got any higher to go to the ER. Well Friday nite, Saturday and Sunday- was much of the same- fever, fussing and no sleep.I tried to sleep when she slept but it was hard. I started getting sick myself and it really wore on me.I never take naps but was falling asleep any time I laid down ! Caitlin, Kayden, and I took over the living room. We put her pump next to the recliner and the swing next to that. She would start the night in the swing and then when she woke up I would move the the recliner and sleep with her there.I could hear the raspy in her chest and she sounded congested. And thrugh all this Caitlin has been my hero. she wouldnt leave the ER without her sister and she has tried to help so much. and bless her heart- the pump beeps so loud but she didnt wake up, when the phone rang this morning for Daddy to wake me she didnt wake up, but when her sister cried or started to cough- Caitlin jumped up to takecare of her. I am so glad she was here to go through all this with me. I dont know what I would have done without her. and where was daddy...... working through the night and sleeping during the day. but his 4 days off starts today so he gets Kayden duty- I just want one night to sleep all night long !!!!!

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

Oh Mara, I am so sorry to see this! I do know about the chest x-x-ray contraption. We had to do one with Ant when he was a year old. They got the hinge stuck and couldn't get him out of it! I pushed them out of the way and practically broke the thing to get him out. It is truly medeivel looking indeed. I hope she gets to feeling better and you can get the surgery done and in the past. Take care my friend!