Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Robert update

Saturday we were getting ready for Alicias wedding. I was putting curlers in Caitlins hair and robert started saying his chest was hurting. I asked him several times if I needed to call 911 and he finally said yes. He then went downstairs to wait for them and yelled up to bring him some socks. First to arrive was David J.- he walked in and looked at Rob and said "Man, you dont look good". Daryl came next follwed by the fire dept. They had to wait for a medic out of Austin because our medic was already on a call. Once they got there, they loaded him in the ambulance and took him to the hospital. The officers wanted me to go but the kids were really upset and I didnt feel like I could just leave them. Caitlin was upset the whole time and Teresa lost it when they loaded him on the streatcher. Which I think didnt go over very well with the officers. I had already called my mom and she was on the way. We had a quick family meeting about what Daddy would want us to do. I got everything ready for the kids and my mom to take them (car seat/ formula/ etc) got dressed and ran to the hospital. WhenI go there- Robert's chief was already there and stayed with me while Rob was in surgery. Another Sgt showed up too (Oscar).

Robert says that in the ambulance he wanted to got to sleep but them told him that if he went to sleep he wouldnt wake up. He had a 80 % block and a 100 % block in one artery and that 10 minutes later, he wouldnt be here. -Something I didnt realize or maybe I would have acted differently. I was in that mode that people go into after someone dies- where you have to take care of the funeral arrangments and everything else and it doesnt hit you till later. Having just gone through everything with Kayden, It felt routine- another hospital stay, another heart issue, etc, etc etc. It hit me when I called David K and I said "Robert had a heart attack" and he said "oh my god" then I heard it all at once "robert had a heart attack oh my god "

I got rob in his room and settled, ordered his dinner etc, and then he said for me to go to the wedding. So I did. Teresa had really stepped up to the plate and helped Caitlin get ready and helped my mom and took care of Kayden. after the wedding, I dropped Kayden with Lisa and took the girls to the hospital to see their dad.they made an exception and let Caitlin in to ICU- you have to be over 12. Once they girls saw him they were much better. Roberts Sgt partner, Larry, had stopped by too to check on him while we were at the wedding.

Sunday they had moved him out of ICU and he slowly started to have some visitors (Rick and Jill and Cathy and Rashwn, and David J stopped by- I think robert really scared him) Robert, David J and Oscar had all go to the police academy together. Monday they sent him home ! He is on a handful of drugs and he can not pick up more than 5 lbs which means he cant even pick up Kayden !

Everyone has been great. A neighbor, Jennifer and Kevin, brought us dinner on Sunday night, and Monday another officer, Mark, brought over food (and flowers for me), Tuesday Debbie and Randy brought over dinner and tonight my cousins are ordering us food. Some of the officers went to our rental house and repaired the fence robert was working on for him.

He really scared everyone- we have been told that half the department is quitting smoking and yesterday someone said "half the department was on the phone onmonday making Dr appts" Keba is getting everyone checked out all the way down to his toe nails (hee hee)

Yesterday I took him to the drs office and they did an EKG and echocardiogram- it does not appear there has been any damage to his heart but we will know for sure when the Dr reviews everything. He sees our family Dr on thursday and the heart Dr next week.

Well- that is it in a nutshell- without all the drama and emotions this ordeal had !

2 comments:

rustinlane.blogspot.com said...

I'm glad to hear he is home!

Jennifer Ortiz said...

Shame on you for not updating until now I have been SCARED OUT OF MY WITS FOR YOU. Like you don't have enough going on huh? I am so glad to hear he is doing better. You have been in my thoughts.